-Portion of “Yoko Eyes” collage/painting by Chris Piercy
Periodically we will be offering you mixtapes* hand-picked by our staff for your listening pleasure. This first one was selected by me, and you will indeed be pleasured.
Remember, these songs are for previewing purposes, and if you like what you hear…track down the albums and buy them! Don’t be an ass.
*Called a “mixtape” because we assume that you will dub these from your Mac onto a C60 and go cruising around in an ’82 Datsun.
- Big Black “Racer X” from The Hammer Party (1986)
- The Homosexuals “Neutron Lover” from The Homosexuals’ Record (1984, recorded in 1978)
- The Only Ones “In Betweens” from Even Serpents Shine (1979)
- The Brian Jonestown Massacre “Evergreen” from Methodrone (1995)
- The Dream Syndicate “When You Smile” from The Days of Wine and Roses (1982)
- Black Grape “Kelly’s Heroes” from It’s Great When You’re Straight, Yeah (1995)
- Talk Talk “Happiness is Easy” from The Colour of Spring (1986)
- The Angels of Light “Praise Your Name” from New Mother (1999)
Posted in Mixtapes, MP3, music
Tagged Angels of Light, Big Black, Black Grape, mixtape, Talk Talk, The Brian Jonestown Massacre, The Dream Syndicate, The Homosexuals, The Only Ones, Yoko Ono
Rock and roll history is riddled with cases of immense talent wasted on being wasted. Shaun Ryder, frontman for the Happy Mondays and Black Grape, is one of the more extreme cases of pop star hedonism. The Happy Mondays helped to merge dance culture with rock and roll and to make ecstasy the drug of choice in the late ’80s and early ’90s. Ryder was also the figurehead for one of the most scattershot discographies of the past 20 years. For every absolute masterpiece (the Mondays’ Bummed and Pills ‘n’ Thrills and Bellyaches; Black Grape’s It’s Great When You’re Straight, Yeah) there was also a big letdown (the Mondays’ Yes, Please! and Black Grape’s Stupid Stupid Stupid).
The following is a documentary that aired on the BBC a few years ago. Much like Ryder’s own contradictory life, it is funny, entertaining, frustrating, and heartbreaking.