Photo by Chris Piercy, summer of 2006
I know, I know…it’s time for “summery” and “happy” music. This mix isn’t trying to shut the propane off at your drunken barbecue or anything, but even during these blissful months of hot dogs, water gun fights, and sweaty one night stands, you still need the occasional come-down.
- Califone “Vampiring Again” from Quicksand/Cradlesnakes (2003)
- Mojave 3 “Mercy” from Ask Me Tomorrow (1995)
- Bark Psychosis “A Street Scene” from Hex (1994)
- Rachel’s “Moscow is in the Telephone” from Systems/Layers (2003)
- Grouper “Heavy Water/I’d Rather Be Sleeping” from Dragging a Dead Deer Up a Hill (2008)
- Bedhead “Crushing” from WhatFunLifeWas (1994)
- Arthur Russell “A Little Lost” from Another Thought (1994)
- Charles Mingus “Profile of Jackie” from Pithecanthropus Erectus (1956)
Posted in Mixtapes, MP3
Tagged Arthur Russell, Bark Psychosis, Bedhead, Califone, Charles Mingus, Firefly, Grouper, mixtape, Mojave 3, Rachel's, Silent, Vampires
-Portion of “Yoko Eyes” collage/painting by Chris Piercy
Periodically we will be offering you mixtapes* hand-picked by our staff for your listening pleasure. This first one was selected by me, and you will indeed be pleasured.
Remember, these songs are for previewing purposes, and if you like what you hear…track down the albums and buy them! Don’t be an ass.
*Called a “mixtape” because we assume that you will dub these from your Mac onto a C60 and go cruising around in an ’82 Datsun.
- Big Black “Racer X” from The Hammer Party (1986)
- The Homosexuals “Neutron Lover” from The Homosexuals’ Record (1984, recorded in 1978)
- The Only Ones “In Betweens” from Even Serpents Shine (1979)
- The Brian Jonestown Massacre “Evergreen” from Methodrone (1995)
- The Dream Syndicate “When You Smile” from The Days of Wine and Roses (1982)
- Black Grape “Kelly’s Heroes” from It’s Great When You’re Straight, Yeah (1995)
- Talk Talk “Happiness is Easy” from The Colour of Spring (1986)
- The Angels of Light “Praise Your Name” from New Mother (1999)
Posted in Mixtapes, MP3, music
Tagged Angels of Light, Big Black, Black Grape, mixtape, Talk Talk, The Brian Jonestown Massacre, The Dream Syndicate, The Homosexuals, The Only Ones, Yoko Ono
I try my best to keep up with the new hip swinging sounds the kids bop in their boomboxes. Still, the constant pursuit of finding the next ________ can leave me feeling a bit overwhelmed by information and wanting for lasting impressions. I just don’t have the time to keep up with bedroom demos of future One Blog Wonders.
I think of this blog as more of a multimedia mixtape for friends and my mixtapes have always been filled with nostalgia and lost hymns.
So, here are three songs by bands (The dB’s, The Go-Betweens, and Catherine Wheel) that are about a generation removed from SXSW photo-ops:
Posted in MP3, music
Tagged Banksy, Catherine Wheel, Ghosthustler, mixtape, MP3, nostalgia, Oklahoma, swinging sounds, SXSW, The dB's, The Go-Betweens, Vampire Weekend